In Mississauga, there are different kinds of family matters that need to be settled in the best possible means, including divorce, separation, child custody, spousal support, property divisions, and others. When it comes to legal separation, some people think it’s the same as divorce; however, there is a clear difference between them. However, it would help if you either had a separation agreement lawyer in Mississauga or a divorce lawyer in Mississauga to settled the disputes, separation & divorce, respectively. In this post, we shall be looking at the difference between legal separation and divorce.
Table of Contents
What Is Legal Separation in Mississauga?
A legal separation in Mississauga has not too much importance. However, it is a kind of separation when both parties put their marriage on hold. Usually, both spouses go to different homes and start living different lives. A legal separation is just like living in isolation. It would be best if you usually hire a separation agreement lawyer in Mississauga to get your decision about family matters approved, a legal separation agreement can help in such disputes. It’s an agreement to bifurcating the property, setting the arrangements to bringing up your children, and ending the financial relationship with your spouse.
What Is a Divorce in Mississauga?
A divorce in Mississauga is the termination of your relationship with the spouse for good. If you are filing for an uncontested divorce, the divorce lawyer in Mississauga may be able to handle your family matters, such as child support, spousal support, or property division, without letting you pay a visit to the court. However, if the divorce is contested, you will need to pay a court visit to settle things between you and your spouse. So, there are a few similarities between divorce and legal separation and you may need to bear the cost for both of these proceedings.
When Should You Consider a Legal Separation?
There may be different reasons if the couples want to get legally separated, no matter the reasons are personal or financial. Here are the points that will make you clear on when you should contemplate a legal separation:
- If you are unsure about ending your marriage, the legal separation can give you time to figure out whether you want to live with or without your spouse.
- If there are couples who can’t go through the divorce for religious reasons, they have the option of legal separation.
- A legal separation ensures that one spouse will remain eligible for health insurance coverage from the other spouse’s job; however, a divorce can terminate this coverage.
- A legal separation permits you and your life partner to keep filing taxes jointly and make the most of some tax benefits.
When Should You Consider a Divorce?
If you don’t want to live with your spouse in Mississauga, you should file for a divorce. If you appoint a divorce lawyer, it may make complicated things a bit simpler for you. It would be best if you considered filing for a divorce in the following situations:
- If you think you can’t benefit from legal separation and are surefire to terminate your marriage, divorce can help you out in the process. Otherwise, you may be wasting your time and money after getting legally separated from your spouse.
- If you want to marry someone else, you will need to file for a divorce. Why? Because you can’t legally marry with a previous marriage in place.
- In Canada, you don’t need to worry about filing for legal separation; thus, you can get a divorce and get separated from your spouse.
Who Can Help You with Legal Matters in Mississauga?
In the first place, you should hire a family lawyer in Mississauga if you think you don’t know your legal rights. However, if your spouse, whom you are filing your divorce against and you cannot agree on certain issues, you will need to go to court. Remember, the court process takes time, and it also comes for a huge price; thus, it’s better to settle your disagreements the other way around. In some cases, you can trust the family law experts of Mississauga and consider taking help. Hopefully, you now understand who can help you deal with the legal matters in Mississauga.
It does not matter whether you are getting legally separated or filing for divorce; all you need to do is make sure your family matters with your spouse get settled in the best means. In Mississauga, a legal separation begins when you start living apart from your spouse; however, filing for divorce means ending your marriage for good. Different situations can help you justify whether you should get separated legally or file for a divorce. However, if you want your legal matters to get settled without any hassles, you should hire a divorce lawyer in Mississauga. Why should you hire a lawyer? A lawyer has a thorough knowledge of the law and can help you get your rights lawfully.