How to Tell If Your House Is Making You Sick
Do you suffer from coughs, allergies, rashes, respiratory problems, or other health problems while at home, but can’t figure out why? Many of us have wondered if my home is making me sick. Sometimes it can be difficult to determine the exact cause.
It can be frustrating to feel sick and not know why, but several causes within the house can lead to health problems.
Keep reading to learn the top signs that your home is making you sick— plus what you can do about it.
Is My House Making Me Sick? Probably, If It’s Dusty
Although we always dust the mantel, bookshelves, and flat surfaces, dust can be everywhere in the house, even if you can’t see it. Dust can cause allergies, especially in people with asthma or breathing problems. It can also harbor dust mites, microscopic creatures that can weaken your immune system.
To ensure your home is clean, use a vacuum with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter, which ensures it picks up dust while vacuuming and not released back into the air.
Have you noticed water or moisture damage in your home?
If you’ve suffered damage from storms, floods, leaking pipes, or condensation problems in your bathroom or kitchen, your home may have suffered water damage. Unfortunately, water and moisture damage often lead to mold. Mold and mildew love dark, damp places, so you may not even know they’re there; It is common under kitchen sinks, in basements, or in bathrooms.
It’s important to understand symptoms of mold toxicity, as it can cause issues such as allergies, wheezing, asthma, and rashes.
Why is my house making me sick? If you’ve been experiencing unexplained health issues, mold could be to blame.
Check Your Cleaning Products
When cleaning your home, what products do you use? Some cleaning products are harsh and can cause eye irritation and skin problems, especially if you’re using them without gloves.
For a healthier alternative, make your own natural cleaning products with white vinegar, essential oils, and castile soap.
When was the last time you replaced your pillows?
Why does something in my house make me sick? If you can’t figure out what it is, it could be your pillows or bedding. Old mattresses and pillows can be home to dust mites, which is unhealthy for allergy sufferers. To ensure dust mites are not a problem, replace your pillows regularly or look for pillowcases that are not allergic.
Try to also wash bedding, pillows, and blankets in hot water.
Always make sure they’re completely dry before putting them away to avoid mold and mildew developing. You can also available some kind of moving services.
Protect Your Household Today
If you’re wondering ‘Is my house making me sick?’, take note of the points above. Do any sound familiar?
If so, something in your home is most likely responsible for your poor health.
However, you don’t have to live with the problem— consider hiring a professional cleaner or mold removalist or replacing your bedding and see if it helps. Also, always speak to your doctor about your concerns.
Before you know it, you’ll be on your way to better health! Do you find helpful this article? If so, explore some of our additional content.